Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Parkinson's Is A Mental Disease.

The longer I live with it, the more I am convinced that Parkinson’s is a mental disease even though it is defined by a set of physical symptoms. PD can be caused by genetics, the environment, or a combination of genetics and the environment. It destroys dopamine producing cells in the brain which can cause four main physical symptoms and a host of “minor” ones but as time goes by the mental aspects of the disease become more important. All emotions, positive or negative, love and pleasure or disappointment and especially stress strongly affect my physical symptoms as well as how I feel. PD meds may also have a strong psychological affect on a person and can cause compulsive gambling, strong sexual urges, and binge shopping. Parkinson’s is a long term progressively debilitating disease that over time takes a great toll on the emotions and so PD becomes a fight for control of a persons mind and emotional well being.
Stress leads to a worsening of symptoms. The Michael J. Fox website states that, “Chronic stress will increase the extent of brain cell loss in PD-associated brain structures. There is ample evidence that PD symptoms worsen during times of stress.” Parkinson’s is a neurological disease and stress and strong emotions make neurological symptoms worse. Some PD people I know trace the onset of symptoms to a specific stressful event. I remember the incident where my symptoms first kicked in although I didn’t know at the time that it was PD.
I was waiting in line in a grocery store and someone cut in front of me. When I said something they became aggressive and I stupidly responded. After the incident my body began to shake and I’ve been shaking ever since. All strong emotions have a noticeable affect on my symptoms. Love and hate, both the same to Parkinson’s, they light up my brain and make me shake.
Then there are the possible negative psychological side effects of the PD meds and the lawsuits settled for millions of dollars. Add impulse-control disorders such as hyper sexuality, compulsive gambling, and impulse shopping that can be caused by the meds to the list of possible non-motor symptoms. No one wins the battle with the physical symptoms and so it is not surprising that many people with PD suffer with depression to some degree. In fact, depression is so prevalent in PD that doctors now believe that depression may actually be a symptom of PD possibly rooted in the way the disease affects the brain. 
I seem to be the best when I am active and engaged with people. At times I forget that I have PD and sometimes PD forgets it has me. Don’t hide and suffer alone. Get involved with the Parkinson’s community. Be with people. Being with people takes my mind off the disease. Gives me mental rest. Respite. We experience PD and suffer individually. Community helps alleviate some of the misery but PD really is a fight for the control of the mind and emotions. A healthy mind is the greatest asset in fighting the disease. I accept that I am probably going to lose the physical battle with PD even though I exercise every day but I am not giving up the fight for my mind and how I feel. Mental attitude is everything so don’t hesitate to get professional help if you need it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post and so true.

Karen said...

I've always believed its a mental disease too, I can overcome some symptoms if I try hard and concentrate.

Anneke Sergio said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wow. Thank you Uncle Peter. Miss and love you (Abe)

Elaine Craig said...

I am so happy to find this coherent and comprehensive description of Parkinson's mental challenges.For quite a while now I have been explaining to friends and relatives that emotional responses, whether positive or negative, trigger Parkinson's episodes for me. This bit of information is usually met with head-shaking. When I have severe anxiety attacks, most likely whomever I am with tells me to "relax." Occasionally, someone asks me why I seem to be so focused on what I am doing I continue long past the time of being productive. I tell them about the research on mirapex, a drug I have taken for about 14 years, and its relation to obsessive compulsive behavior.
A typical response involves telling me how I need to be more in control of my actions.
Actually,I have enjoyed several Parkinson's groups on Facebook because they "get it." It's more relaxing to "hang out" with folks who do not judge this disease nor my symptoms. Having Parkinson's is not nearly as annoying as having to defend the behavior the disease causes.

Peter said...

Thank you for your comment Elaine. You summarized it perfectly.